Hempstead Town snow plowing and salting crews are preparing equipment to battle a storm predicted for Thursday and Friday, January 2nd and 3rd. Additionally, single digit temperature projections have prompted Hempstead Town Supervisor Kate Murray to announce that 14 warming centers will be open on Thursday and Friday for residents seeking a place to get warm.
“Our town is continuing its proactive practice of having salt spreaders and plows poised for action at the first sign of snowfall,” announced Murray. “What’s more, we are opening more than a dozen warming centers to help those seeking a warm place during the projected ‘cold snap’ at the end of the week.”
The town’s highway department is fueling up vehicles, inspecting plows, preparing to load spreader trucks with salt and reviewing storm updates. Other town departments are also preparing equipment for a potentially serious storm.
With the prospect of significant snowfall, the potential for “white-out” conditions and frigid temperatures, Supervisor Murray urged residents to prepare for the storm. The Supervisor recommended that neighbors shop for food and prescription medications before the first snowfall. Further, Murray encouraged residents to limit travel after the snow commences, and requested that homeowners remove cars from roadways so that town snow removal crews can effectively and efficiently salt and plow streets. Finally, Supervisor Murray cautioned residents to limit exposure to the elements as temperatures drop to single digits, and she advised neighbors that 14 town warming centers across the town will provide warmth, good company and hot coffee.
“Our crews are making final preparations for the upcoming storm, and neighbors should also prepare by doing their shopping and fueling vehicles before the snowfall starts,” stated Murray. “Also, residents who are looking to get warm can visit town warming centers on Thursday and Friday.”
The following locations will be open as warming centers from 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Thursday, January 2, 2014 and Friday, January 3, 2014 (unless otherwise noted):
- Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 North Grand Avenue, Baldwin
- Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Avenue, Bellmore
- East Meadow Senior Center, 1485 Front Street, East Meadow
- Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Road, Elmont
- Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Place, Franklin Square
- Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Road, Valley Stream
- Levittown Senior Center, 555 Newbridge Road, Levittown
- Merrick Senior Center, 2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick
- Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Ave., Oceanside
- Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Turnpike, Roosevelt
- Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive, Westbury
- Uniondale/Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Avenue, Uniondale
- Uniondale/Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Avenue, Uniondale
- Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Road, Wantagh
“We’re ready to clear the streets as the snow starts to fall,” concluded Murray. “At the same time, the Town of Hempstead strongly urges those in need of heat to visit a warming center near them as the frigid weather descends upon our area.”