With temperatures expected to drop into the low teens on Tuesday, Hempstead Town Supervisor Kate Murray has announced the opening of 14 warming centers for Tuesday, January 7, 2014. The warming centers are located throughout the township.
“The Town of Hempstead strongly urges residents who do not have access to adequate heat to seek shelter at one of the town’s 14 warming centers on Tuesday,” stated Murray.
The wind-chill factor will make Tuesday’s temperature feel as low as -10 degrees, according to weather experts. Residents should remain indoors as much as possible, and bundle up when venturing out into the cold.
The following locations will be open as warming centers from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Tuesday, January 7, 2014:
· Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 North Grand Avenue, Baldwin
· Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Avenue, Bellmore
· East Meadow Senior Center, 1485 Front Street, East Meadow
· Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Road, Elmont
· Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Place, Franklin Square
· Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Road, Valley Stream
· Levittown Senior Center, 555 Newbridge Road, Levittown
· Merrick Senior Center, 2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick
· Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Avenue, Oceanside
· Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Turnpike, Roosevelt
· Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive, Westbury
· Uniondale/Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Avenue, Uniondale
· Uniondale/Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Avenue, Uniondale
· Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Road, Wantagh