Supervisor Kate Murray has announced that the Town of Hempstead’s Veterans Services Counselor, Rick Gales, will be visiting local communities to speak with veterans about important programs and services available to them. All town veterans, as well as their family members, are invited to meet with the Veterans Services Counselor during a series of upcoming dates.
“Our veterans have done so much for our great nation over the years, and the Town of Hempstead is proud to do its part to ensure that all men and women in uniform get the assistance and benefits to which they are entitled,” stated Murray. “I encourage all veterans, as well as their families, to meet with our dedicated Veterans Services Counselor, Rick Gales.”
Gales, a Past Commander of the Nassau County Veterans of Foreign Wars, will visit each of the following locations from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Please bring a copy of your DD214 or separation papers.
- *Thursday, February 20th at Levittown Hall (201 Levittown Parkway, Hicksville)
- *Monday, February 24th at Echo Park (399 Nassau Boulevard, West Hempstead)
- Thursday, February 27th at the Uniondale-Hempstead Senior Center (840 Uniondale Avenue, Uniondale)
- Tuesday, March 4th at the Bellmore Senior Center (1810 Bellmore Avenue, Bellmore)
- Thursday, March 6th at Salisbury Park Ballfields Community Room (Salisbury Park Drive, East Meadow)
- *Tuesday, March 11th at the Cedarhurst Senior Center (Cedarhurst Village Hall, 200 Cedarhurst Avenue, Cedarhurst)
- Thursday, March 13th at the Wantagh Senior Center (1150 Seamans Neck Road, Wantagh)
- *Tuesday, March 18th at the Elmont Memorial Library (700 Hempstead Turnpike, Elmont)
- *Thursday, March 20th at the Oceanside Library (30 Davison Avenue, Oceanside)
- *Tuesday, March 25th at the Freeport Recreation Center (130 East Merrick Road, Freeport)
- Thursday, March 27th at Malverne Village Hall, 99 Church St., Malverne
*Representatives from the Northport VA Medical Center's Outreach Program will also be present at these sessions and can provide enrollment assistance for new applicants to the VA Medical Center and offer information about healthcare programs available to eligible veterans. Veterans who wish to enroll for Northport VA Medical Healthcare are asked to pre-register with the VA Medical Center by calling their Community Relations Department at 631-261-4400, extensions 7084, 7082, 5250 or 7239.
For veterans who cannot attend on one of the above dates, Rick Gales is also stationed at the town’s Veterans Information Booth from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Monday through Friday at Hempstead Town Hall (1 Washington Street, Hempstead). No appointment is necessary, but residents are urged to call (516) 812-3506 in advance.