Hempstead Town snow salting and plowing crews are at work as 2014’s second major snowstorm bears down on our area. Frigid temperature projections have prompted Hempstead Town Supervisor Kate Murray to announce that 15 warming centers will be open on Tuesday and Wednesday for residents seeking a place to get warm.
“Our town continued its proactive practice of having salt spreaders on the streets prior to snow falling and snow plows sprang into action as snow began to accumulate,” announced Murray. “What’s more, we’ve opened more than a dozen warming centers to help those seeking a warm place during the ‘cold snap’ that is accompanying the snow.”
The town’s highway department has salted roadways and commuter parking fields, and plows are clearing roadways as snow begins to accumulate. Senior Enrichment and Parks Department programs are cancelled for Tuesday and Wednesday, January 21st and 22nd.
With the prospect of significant snowfall, the potential for “white-out” conditions and frigid temperatures, Supervisor Murray has declared a snow emergency. The Supervisor recommended that neighbors shop for food and prescription medications before the first snowfall. Further, Murray encouraged residents to limit travel after the snow commences, and requested that homeowners remove cars from roadways so that town snow removal crews can effectively and efficiently salt and plow streets. Finally, Supervisor Murray cautioned residents to limit exposure to the elements as temperatures drop and she advised neighbors that 15 town warming centers across the town will provide warmth, good company and hot coffee.
The following location will be open as warming center from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Tuesday, January 21st and Wednesday, January 22nd.
· Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 North Grand Avenue, Baldwin
· Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Avenue, Bellmore
· East Meadow Senior Center, 1485 Front Street, East Meadow (opening at 12 noon on 1/22/14)
· Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Road, Elmont
· Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Place, Franklin Square
· Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Road, Valley Stream
· Levittown Senior Center, 555 Newbridge Road, Levittown
· Merrick Senior Center, 2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick
· Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Avenue, Oceanside
· Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Turnpike, Roosevelt
· Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive, Westbury
· Uniondale/Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Avenue, Uniondale
· Uniondale/Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Avenue, Uniondale
· Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Road, Wantagh
“Hempstead Town is working to keep neighbors safe and roads clear as this winter storm hits our area,” said Murray. We ask residents to help us by removing cars from roadways and by limiting car travel during peak snowfall periods.”